Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Resolutions for the Steelhead Fly Fisherman (Originally written and printed for California Fly Fisher Magazine, 2009)

 


2009 was a great year for steelhead fisherman around the west. There seemed to be plenty of fish locally, regionally, and beyond. We had some epic moments on the river this year. I have written about some of them. I stayed very busy and saw many of my clients and friends grow and evolve as steelheaders. I hope I did as well.  

But, there is always room for improvement. In 2009, many of you may have heard things like: “Bob, at some point, common sense must prevail”, or  “Jim, help me help you”,  “Take control of yourself!” or simply “really?”  As steelhead guides, we see a lot of things happen on the river, some good, some bad, some entertaining and at times frightening.  I certainly have my idiot moments, as many can attest to. There are certain behaviors that lead to success, some that don’t. Good habits or bad, they don’t go unnoticed. As guides, we compare notes at the end of our workdays. We tend to experience similar challenges on the river throughout a season. We try not to get too worked up about these things because when it’s all said and done, it’s just fishing. It’s not a competition or have national security implications, it is about being on the river. But there are ways to make the whole experience more enjoyable for everyone.  So I am offering some suggestions for those of you who might need a Steelheader’s New Year Resolution.  You are not limited to just one! Here we go.

Is there a problem?


In 2010, I, Joe Steelheader:


Will “Comply”!

I was guiding with a friend a few years ago who exclaimed “Comply!” He was trying to get his angler to steer fish away from the anchor rope.  It was a very large fish and the angler was not in control. He had tried in every way to communicate this to his angler but couldn’t.  In the heat of the moment, he yelled “Comply!” We laugh about it now, as do the guys in that group. He did comply, and that fish made it in the net. The point is, take good advice when offered, and go fishing more often. Being a better steelhead fisherman comes with time on the water and utilizing your resources. Take a class from your local shop.  Keep yourself in the game. It’s all about getting on the water. For this, you must comply!

Will not cast to the same snag twice in a row

This could drive me crazier than any of them. It amazes me how many times this happens in a day. This one is mind boggling. This is my biggest nightmare of them all. What part of the brain tells us to repeat the same tragic event twice in a row? There is retard, and there is full retard. This is full retard. Move down five or ten feet, please.  Losing two flies on two casts is not caused by bad luck.  It is caused by a bad decision. You can do this.
 
Will practice

Golfers go to the driving range to improve their game. Why don’t more fly fisherman practice casting? Time may be an issue. I can relate to that. Some famous casting instructor said that practicing and improving your casting makes your fishing more fun and productive. I think this is true. We, especially with spey casting because it is so new to most, easily get distracted by the technical aspects of casting and loose sight of the fishing part of the experience. Even if you got out one day a month, that would help. I fish with a number of guys who struggle with the same casting problems year after year. By the end of the trip, we have made some progress. By the next year, all that progress is lost and we have to start over. Go practice and hire an instructor for a session or two, and I guarantee your valuable fishing time will be more enjoyable.



Will move quickly through the run

We are all guilty of camping at times. Some are worse than others. Think of every new cast as a new experience, another opportunity to catch a steelhead. In the big scheme of things, a second cast in the same spot is a waste of time, unless: you just got grabbed, you blew the cast, or you only have time to fish one run that day. If you are spending the whole day on the river, keep moving. Remember, they’ve got to be there, and they’ve got to be in the mood. There is not enough time in a day to waste on milking a run. River time goes very fast so make the best of it.  Also, if you are fishing with someone else, it is your responsibility to move quickly if you are the first guy through the run. If you are fishing with me, I won’t put you out in front unless I know you’ll move at a good pace. 


Will leave my cell phone in the truck (or at least a dry bag)

Do you really need your I Phone in your pocket while teetering on slippery rocks in the middle of the Rogue River? The answer is no. I set a record that will most likely never be broken. I saw three cell phones go down in one day. Yes, three. I was guiding three guys this year that thought it was more important to be connected to the internet than connected to a steelhead.  After the first two guys lost their phones, I would have thought that was it. Nope. I noticed angler number three had his Blue tooth in his ear and was chatting away about some business deal. When he ended the call, he attempted to put it back in his pocket. He missed. It went straight down into the river. He recovered his phone only because it lit up with an incoming call from the bottom of the Rogue. Now that’s good reception! I have never laughed so hard in my life. 

Will be prepared

Bring studded boots, warm layers, a fishing license, etc. If you are a steelhead fisherman, there are basic equipment requirements you need to meet in order to survive the day. Buy some studded boots please. Don’t tell me that most guides don’t allow studded boots in their boats. That is not true. I know a lot of steelhead guides and not one of them prohibits studs in their boats. Spend a hundred dollars and make it happen. Or throw some sheet metal screws into your boots. That will work. It is critical that you can navigate the river, with your feet. Also, please don’t wear Levi’s and gym socks under your waders in November. It’s 2010, we have better options. Fleece and polypro has been around for over 20 years. You’d be better off wet wading in your wife’s yoga pants.

 

Will not yank, set, or pull when I get grabbed

I am referring to the traditional swing. By all means, if you are an indicator fisherman, set! That is why you have that bobber on your line! When the bobber goes down, you go up.  But we are talking about swinging here. Last week I was down on the Trinity River during the longest cold snap in recent history. Needless to say, the fish weren’t very willing to come out of their cozy little sleeping bags to eat an artificial fly. Our opportunities were limited to the warmest part of the day when the fish were most active.
We only got two grabs one particular day. The first grab resulted in a break-off. The angler set hard on the fish and broke off my fly on 12lb Maxima. It should have resulted in a fish. Instead, I replaced the premium fly he lost with a B-team fly until he could prove otherwise. Unfortunately that was his only encounter of the day.  I was reading Dec Hogan’s new book recently and his best piece of advice was this: “ I have never waited too long to lift the rod on a fish” that grabs.
I was fishing with a new spey fisherman recently who had cured himself of the set. He got grabbed, the fish was on, the line was tight, the fish jumped and he still hadn’t lifted the rod. I said, “Hey Scott, is that your fish that just jumped?” He replied with a grin, “ I just wanted you to see that I wasn’t going to set on it.” He didn’t do anything for about fifteen seconds and still hooked the fish.  Sometimes the fish will grab once, twice, or more before he’s on. My personal record it six tugs in one swing before it found the hook. Most beginners have to farm a few before they get this, especially if they come from an indicator fishing background. Give them a chance to take it, eat it, and find the hook. The bottom line is, don’t do anything! Let them take it. Don’t take if from them. We are trying to catch them. You can’t do that unless they have the hook in their mouth with the line attached.  


Will appreciate every steelhead, regardless of size

Size only matters in certain things in life: boats, trucks, guns, boobs, and rods, but not steelhead. Every steelhead had to make the same amazing journey whether it was twenty inches or twenty pounds. If it ate your fly, that’s great! Every fly caught steelhead is a trophy in my opinion. Sure, I want to catch the big one. But please don’t complain when you see that half-pounder jump on the end of your line. Rejoice! You actually caught one!



There you have it. My apologies. By the time I finished writing this article, it had morphed into my annual complaint. Actually, there may be some helpful stuff there. I am going to pick at least one of these resolutions for my own. There is hope for us in 2010. It just so happens that ten is my lucky number. It might just be a perfect year, even if we are not.   

No comments:

Post a Comment